As an owner of a small business you might find yourself asking, besides your company website, do you need a blog as well? The answer, in my opinion, is yes, yes and yes again. In fact, I actually think that your blog is more important that your website. What? I hear you gasp. The answer bluntly is yes. Here are some reasons to blog if you are a small business:
1. Blogging is the best way to maximize your inbound marketing efforts, increase traffic to your site, and turn website visitors into leads. According to Hubspot, 57% of companies who have a blog reported acquiring a customer from their blog.
2. Blogs and Search Engine Optimization go together as well as carrots and peas do. Search engines adore fresh content, or republished content. All those spiders crawl through the content indexing it. Now imagine how much content there is online. What better a way to stand out from the others by providing frequent, fresh content other than through blog posts. There is no other way.
3. Blogging allows you to communicate with your site visitors via content. Not only are they reading information that you are creating, but you give them the opportunity to comment and answer questions you may ask at the end of the post. This starts a 2 way conversation. By responding to readers’ comments, you establish rapport, build trust, and gain valuable insight into what your customers are looking for. Also with every blog post, your readers can share your post in various ways. There is all of the social media channels, facebook sharing, twitter tweets, LinkedIn posts, google+ posts etc… Your blog can also be emailed to others. It’s free smarketing and it validates you as a credible source of information.
4. By providing helpful and useful information to your website visitors through the different blog posts you create about topics related to your industry, you position yourself as an industry leader. Over time and with valuable information that is helpful, you become a “go to” resource for content, which leads to higher customer conversion rates. This in my opinion is crucial for small businesses if you want to gain credibility and compete with the larger companies.
5. Everybody likes a little personal touch, and using your blog you can do this every once a while. By occasional showing a personal side of your business through a blog post, you can engage with perspective and current customers in a manner that they won’t see through outbound marketing techniques. Also, the tone and style of the blog lets customers get a feel for who you are, which becomes a useful indicator to check if you are the kind of company they would like to work with.
6. Consider your blog your best marketing investment ever. It takes a lot of consistency and dedication to get a blog going. You have to consistently, frequently post useful information. However consider it as an investment towards future growth, not just an expense. Whether you decide to create your content in house, or hire an Inbound Marketing agency like ours, the blog posts you create become a reason for website visitors to actually go to your site, once, twice and a 3rd time. Do the maths - if you do 5 posts a week for 6 months, how many reasons for a visit to your website have you created, that wouldn't be there if you didn't have a blog.
Are you convinced yet? So, now that you know all the reasons to start blogging, get online and get creative with topics related to your industry, put a content plan together, set your online persona, and start blogging. Oh.. one more thing, blog posts don’t only have to be articles like this. You can use video content, infographics, downloadable content, and the list goes on and on. If you would like any help or advice getting your blog going, or you feel you don’t have the time to do it and would like us to do it for you, please get in touch. The way I prefer to do things if for us first to meet and assess your current digital landscape. Once we know that, we then set a strategy on what can be done to better your business online.